Friday, April 21, 2017

Remembering William Mayes Flanagan

My dear friend Bill was a gift to the world. I will miss talking shit with you, drinking with you, talking about art and the community with you. No one worked harder to make things happen. No one had more passion for art, social justice, and for living life to the fullest. Loyal, funny as hell, a talented painter (no one paints moons like you, Bill), a great storyteller, and so extremely kind. I am a better person for knowing you and I will never forget you. I bought you a wee half pint at that pub we all had fun in and left it on the table for you and there's a glass (a french jam jar) of red wine for you on our mantel. You and Barbara (your beloved) are part of my chosen family. Thank you for all the kindness and love. You were like a father, a delightfully irreverent uncle, and a much older brother all wrapped up in a revolutionary package. I love you, Bill. I love you, Barbara.

William Mayes Flanagan hung my 8 pieces at the Fenix & Friends exhibition at the Walker-Stone house at the beginning of the month. He is the reason that I offered my work for the exhibition. I am honored that he touched every single one of those paintings of mine and he will always have a special place in my mind and heart. One of the greatest gifts the Fayetteville Underground gave me was getting to know and love William Mayes Flanagan. I made a short video tribute to my dear friend that you can see on my facebook art page, here.

Please take a minute to look at Flanagan's work and read his statement on his website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment