Friday, July 13, 2018

Exhibitions, Protest, and an Open Studio.

The orange one is in town and I am finding it hard to concentrate. This has been a busy and exciting week and I have to take to the streets tomorrow in protest. So let's get to it.

Last Saturday was the opening of "Defying Sameness" at The Velvet Easel Gallery in Portobello. Here is a snapshot of my thoughts afterward. "Just got back from a wonderful opening! So much variety and talent on every wall of the gallery. Rosalind Walker knows how to put on one hell of a show! I was delighted to get to spend time with fellow artists Tamsin Haggis, Jane Birrell MacKenzie and Brian McFie, his lovely partner Elaine, and his mum! A wonderful way to spend part of a Saturday." It really was grand, I left the opening feeling quite inspired after spending some time with kindred spirits surrounded by art in the bright and airy gallery.

My painting "I follow the clouds" hangs above Brian McFie's wonderful work.

I have two pieces in the exhibition. Gallerist, Roz Walker changes up the front window each Friday and my second and much larger painting made an appearance there starting today. 





Always an eclectic selection of art for every taste without the pretense, that's what I love about the Velvet Easel. Check out the show, it keeps changing as work sells during the exhibition.

On Monday I did some personal work involving the beginnings of an art manifesto (the outline was written while looking out at a cloudy sea). Let's just say things are percolating and I am reaching outwards and looking inwards for guidance and feeling a bit excited. Watch this space as things develop.




On Thursday night the private view was held for the "Summer Garden Party" exhibition at the Union Gallery. Again, here's a snapshot of my thoughts after this beautiful event written late last night. "Every time I have the privilege of showing my art in a public space and have conversations around the work, I am reminded of just how lucky I am. Small crowds or large, the connection can always be found. It was a beautiful private view tonight at Union Gallery. Gallerist, Alison Auldjo has curated another fabulous exhibition in her gorgeous gallery. Here are a few blurry snaps of my work. "Summer Garden Party" is on show until the 4th of August." 




Of course tomorrow, I will be protesting Orange #45 but then afterward I will be tidying up my very messy studio for the Makers Marque at the Out of the Blue Drill Hall. There will be makers from the Drill hall, Abbey Mount, as well as other Edinburgh makers participating. I will have my studio (G23 - follow the signs) open from 12-5. I will have some new paintings up, as well as some bits and pieces in progress to show you. Come on out! We can listen to Patsy Cline, drink coffee, and I can tell you about Arkansas.

Thanks to everyone who has come to an opening or had a kind or constructive word about my work. I really appreciate you. Until next week, keep fighting. The world needs you and your art.






2 comments:

  1. Manifesto... interesting! Can’t wait to hear more. So glad your preview went well. You look so happy and as gorgeous as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! I can't wait to hear more about my manifesto too! You know how it is sometimes. I think I leave a trail of unfinished manifestos in my wake. Thank you for your kind compliment and for reading my blog. I am so enjoying yours and your video series as well as your new work!

      Delete