Friday, January 18, 2019

Small works and a visit from the past







This week has been spent in the studio mostly laying the foundations for nine small works. You know I like to alternate between large and small as I build a series. Currently, we have five larger works on the go as well. The studio is warming up, slowly but surely, from the holiday break.

I am continuing to "refill the well" by watching art documentaries again this week (you can see the ones I watched last week, here). So far, these are this week's selections.

 Anselm Keifer- Remembering the Future. Brilliant documentary. I love Keifer and have had the thrill to stand before his great work but knowing more about the man, his process, and to see his studio spaces really brings it all home.

Marina Abramovic - The Artist Is Present, I admire Abramovic and understand her work much more after having seen this tender and moving documentary. 

Picasso's Last Stand. A fascinating look at the artist at the end of his career. 

Robert Rauschenberg - Pop Art Pioneer. I've been a fan of Rauschenberg for ages and this was a lovely way to spend some time with the artist and his work. His sense of humour and life force is contagious. 

Again, all of these are currently available on YouTube. Is there an art documentary you think I need to watch or one that has recently inspired you? Leave it in the comments for me. Thanks! I remember in art school, my mentor Ron Graff would tell us to just spend time in our studios, reading, looking at art, flipping through magazines- whatever- that time spent in the studio was good, so if you are feeling stuck, why not watch a documentary in your studio space, whether it's the kitchen table or a spare bedroom, think about art in there while you are not making it and watch what happens.

I have also started mentoring a couple of artists this past week. It has been wonderful to share in their work, their struggles, and to hear of their brilliant ways of seeing the world through their art. I am grateful to be able to do this work. I am still working on my mentoring website, so stay tuned, but if you think you want to work with me send me an email or leave me a comment to learn more. I look forward to hearing from you!

This week for the Tuesday Studio Video Visit, I did something a little different. This week, I filmed myself reading one of my first Studio Blog posts from 2007. It was an emotional experience for me to read my words as I let it sink in just how much has changed in my life and art. Here it is again in case you missed it. You can always find these videos each week on my Facebook Art Page. 


I think that's all I have for you this week. Every day we paint is a victory but we also have to take the time to keep learning and growing. We have to see the beauty and feel the sun on our faces and spend time in nature. We have to take care of our hearts and minds. 

With gratitude from my heart to yours, thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. It's me, Elaine - just to let you know I got my painting this morning - love it! Squeeeee!

    Loving your new small works - there's something so intimate about how close someone leans in to look at small works.

    Looking foward to seeing your mentoring site. I had a couple of sessions this summer via a local authority-sponsored scheme. I found it invaluable. Really useful perspective. I'd recommend it to everyone - especially if you work outside a group studio environment/on your own. It is so good to talk with a fellow artist too - makes all the difference.

    Thanks for such a 'nourishing' post - it makes such a welcome change from GUNG-HO ACHIEVE GOALS GO GO GOOOOO New Years exhaustion. Quiet determination is SO good lol

    Sharing the power of 'turning-up'and walking your own path - yeah!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete