Friday, January 3, 2014

and at once we could see...

Christmas has come and gone as has New Year's Day. Welcome to 2014!

What do you have in store for 2014? Do you make resolutions? A list of goals? Do you make new plans of action? Or do you just go with the flow?

I don't make resolutions as such but I do like the clean slate a new year provides. I find it hard not to get somewhat optimist about the future or changing a few little habits that are perhaps not serving me as well as they could. I like to think that anything is possible in the new year but if I am honest, I like to wake up believing something good is right around the corner everyday.

There is something a little bit different about this time of year, the cool crispness, the light and the snow. Things move a little slower and I feel a little more quiet within myself. I feel just a little more up to a challenge in the new year, a little more "what's next?"

This is the beginning of the 8th year of my studio blog and it was 19 years ago that I was in my first proper art exhibition in Eugene, Oregon which ultimately changed the course of my life. So what is next? More of course! More of the same with some tweaks and changes with added focus and drive. Is that possible? Yes, I am sure it is.

I will leave you with my first painting completed in 2014 and the words that go with it. Until next week, you know what to do...

At once we could see
mixed media on paper 30x22"
© 2014 Megan Chapman

I have just completed this painting for Royal Blind in Edinburgh, Scotland. This painting will be part of their first ever Royal Blind Week aiming to raise awareness and vital funds for the services they offer for the blind and partially sighted. The exhibition will be held at Gallery Seventeen in Edinburgh in late February and early March. A number of top Scottish artists such as Jolomo, Peter Howson and Marion Drummond among others will be participating in this exhibition as well. I am honored to have my work in such brilliant company and to be able help such an important institution.

In this mixed media painting on paper by American artist Megan Chapman, the silhouettes of several of the early students to benefit from the teachings of the Royal Blind float across the painted page and radiate out from a vintage map of Edinburgh and the Forth. Red lines connect the figures to each other and to the Royal Blind School which rises up behind them providing a sturdy foundation as the students open to the possibilities of the world. The painting reads, "we talked and told stories we would never forget and at once we could see."

No comments:

Post a Comment