Saturday, January 25, 2014

In between secrets


Whoa... this week flew by too fast for my liking or maybe the faster it goes the better. I felt busier than I actually like to be and then slower at the same time. Really, I feel like I was trapped in some sort of energy sucking vortex if I am honest. I wish I had been more productive in the now and less attentive to the yesterday's of living but sometimes it is just a back and forth game. After last week's exciting news and productivity, this week was a bit of a let down but I have been around this block enough to know that this is how the machine works.

There are contracts to sign and return, emails to return, things to frame or not and an exhibition to prepare for in terms of promotion and display but not in the creating of the work. There is anxiety around in the air but at the same time things are chugging along and it always works out in the end (this is what I tell myself).

I reconnected with several of my friends (all artists) this week, with dinner and drinks this past Saturday, an artist meeting on Tuesday paired with a little art making, a tea date on Wednesday paired with the monthly grocery shopping and then a lunch date on Thursday paired with a patron meeting at my home studio later in the day and then with an added flu shot even later. The week was punctuated with evening and afternoon Skype chats with Stewart and several others in between. A lot of talking happened this week and if you pair a lot of talking with grocery shopping and a flu shot, it is no wonder that personally I am feeling a bit tired. I am not complaining, just trying to make sense of where the week went.

As far as inspiration this week (besides my amazing friends) I received Armistead Maupin's last "tales of the city" book, it is a lovely book so far and I have been enjoying reading it to Stewart over Skype. I also received the latest Yeah Yeah Yeahs album of which I am sure I will be listening to when I create some future works. I also saw the film about the all girl band,  The Runaways, that I found great power and inspiration in as well.

I have some new art business ideas brewing that I will put out there very soon but not quite yet. I have some other things to take care of first. Tonight, I will look over my to do list one more time and get ready for another full tilt work week ahead, focusing not only on the business side of things but on the making of things. It is a cruel punishment towards myself when I am not making.

“Art attracts us only by what it reveals of our most secret self.” ~Jean-Luc Godard

I am feeling like it might be time to tell some more secrets...


No comments:

Post a Comment