Friday, June 29, 2018

Summer! Exhibitions, taking up space, and taking care

This week, I have decided to take up some space that I normally shy away from. As I write my blog, I am surrounded by plants on the balcony above my studio just off the common kitchen at the Out of the Blue Drill Hall in Leith. It is hot up here close to the Victorian glass ceiling.

I have my headphones on but even still I can hear the clinking of glasses and silverware from the cafe kitchen below. It smells like a chocolate cake is baking and reminds me of my mother. It feels good to be in the bright light and intense warmth up high and surrounded by other people's cast-off houseplants. You are here for art though, so let's talk about that.

A fair wind and a long way to go
Mixed media on canvas
100x120cm
© 2018 Megan Chapman


I follow the clouds
Mixed media on canvas
61x91cm
© 2018 Megan Chapman




I have just bubble-wrapped these two paintings for delivery to The Velvet Easel Gallery tomorrow morning. I am very pleased to have my work in the upcoming exhibition, "Defying Sameness." The exhibition opens on 7th of July (drinks and nibbles all day of the opening) and stays up through the 28th of October. The Velvet Easel is one of my favourite galleries in Edinburgh, so come out to Portobello to take in the art and the beach and make a day of it.

I have also been getting ready for the "Summer Garden Party" exhibition coming up at The Union Gallery I am thrilled to have four pieces in this upcoming show.

"The annual, mixed, summery exhibition of favourite gallery artists including Patsy McArthur, James Newton Adams, Megan Chapman, Colin Brown, Drummond Mayo and Sophie McKay Knight, all served up with a glass of PIMMS!" The exhibition runs 12th of July 2018 to the 4th of August.

Besides painting up a storm in the studio, I have been trying to savour summer a bit, yesterday I spent the day in a writer's garden in the hot sun. It was a divine way to spend a day.

The news of the world is horrid and there are many people in pain and despair. I can't turn my back on it but neither can I dwell on it for too long. At these times we must fight, stay informed, and work for change but we must also make our art and sun our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment