Friday, June 28, 2019

Ancient, old-fashioned, and new



Edinburgh is not just a city but a friend - my ghostly companion made of cobblestone, sandstone, and extinct volcanoes. Strong and sure when I am not, I water the flowers with my tears. They grow so well in summer (and things stay green in the spring, winter, and autumn too). The streets are dirty and trash blows across the beauty just to knock us all down a peg or two. The pavements are wide enough for us all but also selective in places. We fall into line and most of the time it's worth it. The Castle looms and Arthur's Seat is a beacon, both a reminder to look up and outward.

The sun is a joy when it visits, every sunburn is worth it. The haar turns a typical day into a mystery. The rain is the backing track to dreams and disappointments. The local voices sing their hellos and goodbyes as the Firth of Forth holds us and soothes our edges.

I walk into the sun, smell the jasmine, hops, and weed as I dodge dog shite and old mattresses with a smile on my face. My city has so many faces and this comforts me. Together we keep evolving- ancient, old-fashioned, and new. 

++++++++

My brother Sean and his lovely wee family were in town this week visiting from the states, the above post is a short reflection of the visit, and of being a tourist in my own backyard. I remember why I love this city and Scotland as a whole. It was a wonderful week of seeing it all and reconnecting with my family.  I am thankful for the good people of Scotland and Edinburgh for making them feel welcomed and consider myself lucky to live here. It was good to take a week off work to enjoy it all with people I love dearly. Haste ye back! Here's the Tuesday Studio Video Visit if you missed it. 

In art news: 

I received the six new small works back from Leith Framing Studio - always a delight to see them framed. I will soon be taking them to the fabulous Velvet Easel Gallery in Portobello for the next mixed exhibition, which opens a week from today! 



The Velvet Easel Gallery would like to extend a warm invitation to our new mixed exhibition, The Stars Go Waltzing.

The exhibition will feature a myriad of new and exciting artists as well as work by those already popular in the gallery. Drinks and nibbles will be served throughout the opening day on Saturday 6th of July

The Stars go Waltzing will run from Saturday 6th July to Sunday the 27th October and the gallery opening hours are:

Thursday - Saturday 10 - 5
Sunday 12 -5


In other exhibition news, mark your diaries and get your free ticket (see link below). I am delighted that I will be participating in the Out of the Blue is 25 Exhibition, Thursday 18th - Thursday 25th July. Join us for the exhibition launch: Thursday 18th July, 6pm - 9pm (book free tickets), The  exhibition will be open daily from 10am-5pm (except Sunday)

An exhibition of our studio artists’ work to celebrate 25 years of Studio provision in Edinburgh by Out of the Blue Arts and Education Trust.

Out of the Blue is delighted to present an exhibition showcasing the rich array of practices taking place behind our studio doors. Bringing together painters, textile artists, jewellers and everything in-between as a celebration of ingenuity, imagination, innovation, and craft.

Until next week, keep fighting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment