Friday, July 5, 2019

Exhibitions and studies

One of my paintings that will be on show at the Velvet Easel




It's Friday and I bring news from my personal art world. First, news again of two upcoming exhibitions! The first exhibition opens tomorrow (Saturday, July 6th). I borrowed the following copy from the fabulous Velvet Easel Gallery.

"The Velvet Easel Gallery would like to extend a warm invitation to our new mixed exhibition, The Stars Go Waltzing.

The exhibition will feature a myriad of new and exciting artists as well as work by those already popular in the gallery. Drinks and nibbles will be served throughout the opening day on Saturday 6th of July

The Stars go Waltzing will run from Saturday 6th July to Sunday the 27th October and the gallery opening hours are:

Thursday - Saturday 10 - 5
Sunday 12 -5

The Velvet Easel Gallery exhibits a broad range of original art including paintings, pottery, ceramics, glass, and jewellery...we also have a wide range of prints and greetings cards and provide an ideal venue to shop for unique, unusual and quality purchases and gifts. We also sell Gift Vouchers which have proved popular for wedding, birthday, retirement, Christmas gifts etc.

Thank you as always to customers and exhibiting artists - the gallery would be nothing without you."


I hope you will make it by the gallery for the exhibition, The Velvet Easel is one of my most favourite galleries in town, always a friendly, relaxed atmosphere, and a wonderful variety of art on show. A real gem in Edinburgh. I am delighted to have six new paintings in this exhibition. 


Between memory and story, just one of my paintings that will be part of the Out of the Blue 25 Exhibition


The second exhibition opens on Thursday, July 18th. I know I mentioned both of these exhibitions in my blog last week as well but you just never know who will read one blog and not the other, so thanks for your patience. I borrowed the following copy from the fabulous Out of the Blue Drill Hall. 

Mark your diaries and get your free ticket (see link below). I am delighted that I will be participating in the Out of the Blue is 25 Exhibition, Thursday 18th - Thursday 25th July. Join us for the exhibition launch: Thursday 18th July, 6pm - 9pm (book free tickets), The exhibition will be open daily from 10am-5pm (except Sunday)

"An exhibition of our studio artists’ work to celebrate 25 years of Studio provision in Edinburgh by Out of the Blue Arts and Education Trust.

Out of the Blue is delighted to present an exhibition showcasing the rich array of practices taking place behind our studio doors. Bringing together painters, textile artists, jewellers and everything in-between as a celebration of ingenuity, imagination, innovation, and craft."

I have worked at my studio G23 at the Out of the Blue Drill Hall on Dalmeny Street in Leith since I rented it in late December 2014, just 3 months after I made the big move to Edinburgh. All the work I have created since has been made within this fabulous old building, so I am honoured to be able to celebrate and become part of the history of the 25 years of the Out of the Blue. 

Now that we have the very important promotions out of the way. I will say that this week was spent on a series of studies. I think I did six sets of six paintings - so 36 small studies for six larger-scale works that I hope to be busy painting in the near future. It was a fun and challenging process. I painted a few things I really liked and am looking forward to transferring them to much larger canvases shortly.

Here is a rough version of one of the studies and then six of the final studies cleaned up. 


rough study


cleaned up studies ready to create on 90x120cm canvases
I think that is all I have for you this week, I would love to hear that you have visited The Velvet Easel or perhaps I will see you at the opening at the Out of the Blue Drill Hall. Regardless, let's keep in touch. Keep fighting, you miraculous creature of light and dark. I need you here. We all do. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment