Friday, October 27, 2017

The cards fall into place



The weather was gorgeous as I dropped off art to two galleries in different parts of Edinburgh. After each drop-off, I got to enjoy a beautiful scenic walk and soak in the sun and the autumnal beauty. That alone would make a brilliant week. The icing on the cake was scoring last minute tickets to a reading by one of my literary idols, Armistead Maupin. I must say I am delightfully gobsmacked.

Tuesday, I recorded my studio visit video on the importance of showing up, doing the work, and being ready for any opportunity. You can see it again here if you missed it on my Facebook art page.


On Wednesday I took two new small works over to Union gallery for the exhibition, Welcome to the Jungle. This exhibition is to raise awareness and funds to help protect orangutans. 10% of all sales will be donated to help these majestic creatures.

The exhibition will contain new work from artists Jenny Matthews, Barbara Franc, Susie Christie, Christine Clark, Imogen Alabaster, Megan Chapman, Ruth Addinall, Carl Newman, Carol Read and Richard Ballantyne.

Join us for the preview on Saturday the 28th
4-6pm.

Welcome to the Jungle
28.10.17 - 25.11.17
Union Gallery
4 Drumsheugh Place, Edinburgh, EH3 7PT
Monday - Saturday: 10.30 - 5.30pm
Closed Sundays

Here are the two pieces I will have in the important and varied exhibition.


Deep Within
Mixed media on Canvas
20x20x4cm
2017 Megan Chapman
To Be Wild and Free
Mixed media on Canvas
20x20x4cm
2017 Megan Chapman

On Thursday, I took two new paintings over to The Velvet Easel Gallery in Portobello for their latest mixed exhibition, Winters Edge. This exciting exhibition opens on Saturday, November 4th and runs through 25th of February. After participating in the previous exhibition, I was delighted to be asked back.

Join us for the opening on Saturday, November 4th from 10-5. There will be drinks and nibbles and perhaps artists popping in throughout the day. I plan to be there for a bit for sure.

Winters Edge
4.11.17 - 25.2.18
The Velvet Easel Gallery
298 Portobello High Street
Portobello, Edinburgh EH15 2AS
Thursday - Saturday: 10.00 - 5.00pm
Sunday 12-5pm

Here are the two pieces I will have in the exhibition. 

My Heart Divided
Mixed media on Canvas
41x51x4cm
2016 Megan Chapman

Hiding In Plain Sight
Mixed media on Canvas
41x51x4cm
2016 Megan Chapman

In addition to these exhibitions, I will be participating in two other group shows coming up soon and I will tell you more about them as it gets closer to the time. This all feels very good, and just after three years of living here, it feels like the cards are finally starting to fall into place. Long may it continue.



Last, but certainly not least, this week I got to meet and hear my favorite author, Armistead Maupin in St. Andrews this afternoon on his tour for his memoir Logical Family

I sadly found out only Monday that he was on tour here in Scotland and also that the tickets in Edinburgh were completely sold out. Thanks to our friend James and his fast detective work, we found out that Mr. Maupin would also be speaking in St Andrews about 50 miles away and that there were still tickets. We jumped at the chance. After a scenic train and bus journey, we had a bit of time to enjoy the gorgeous sunfilled village and its ruins before the event. 

We got front row seats and I was completely spellbound for an hour as we listened to him read from his book and then expand on his own experiences and take questions from the audience. I laughed until I cried and was filled with pure electric joy. It was an honor to meet someone who I have read, quoted, and admired for over 20 years. His characters have comforted and inspired me and have become part of my logical family. Never in a million years did I think I would have this opportunity. I was so giddy, I forgot how to spell out my own name as he signed the book. I still can't quite believe my good fortune and I can't wait to read his memoir. 

Somedays the world seems like it has completely gone to hell, and somedays the world seems like a light-filled orb, with boundless energy, laughter, and goodness. This is the world I got to live in this week and I am grateful. 

Until next week, be ready for opportunities, be ready to make new plans, and to perhaps meet your dreams. You never know what's coming next.

No comments:

Post a Comment