Friday, October 6, 2017

Play it again!

New work from the studio this week
I started the week in the studio with one song on repeat at full blast on my headphones. I played this song for probably 3 hours or more. My hearing was impaired for the rest of the week but damn if I didn't get some painting done. I also made my Tuesday Studio Video Visit. If you missed it, click here. 

New work from the studio this week

What song did I listen to? This trance inducing number, "Circles" from 2010 by The Soft Moon. I have used this song and this band in this way before. I often go back to pieces of music that have worked in the past to get me to the place I need to be to paint the work I need to paint.


I repeat different songs for different things. Right now as I write, I am listening to Blur's Sing. I sometimes paint to this as well.

Do you do this too? How important is music to your painting practice or painting to your music practice? Do you use other forms of art to make your work whatever it may be? How about the repetitive aspect? I would love to hear about it if so.

If you listen to these two songs I think you will find similarities and perhaps see why they work for me. I like driving, repetitive sounds but with a good amount of noise, a touch of dreaminess and minimal words. I think this helps me focus on the essentials. Music is the ultimate alchemy and I remain under its spell.

New work from the studio this week





















In other news, I am delighted that my painting, The New Language, sold from The Velvet Easel in Portobello yesterday! It will always make my day, perhaps even my week or month, when I sell a painting. I will always feel the thrill of it just like I did the very first time I made a sale years ago. I am grateful when someone sees my work and chooses it for their life. It means so much to me, spurs me on, and encourages me. I am headed into this weekend filled with gratitude. Thanks, patrons!

The New Language, Acrylic on canvas, 76x51x4cm/30x20x1.5" Sold 
Until next week, keep fighting. The world needs you, and your art.

No comments:

Post a Comment