Friday, September 21, 2018

Between Memory and Story




I am writing this on a Saturday morning even though I will post it as it was Friday's entry for the sake of consistency. Yesterday was too full on to stop and write. I am writing today from the Out of the Blue Drill Hall. I am sitting in the cafe watching over my exhibition, Between Memory and Story. The sun is streaming through the Victorian glass ceiling and there is a community planning meeting in the room off to the side. I am drinking a latte and soon my porridge will follow. This is a wonderful way to spend a day.



My plan for the installation was to create a meditative tunnel that pulled the viewer through the exhibition and gave space to each piece so they could be seen individually and yet also as a whole. It is light, bright and airy. The work glows on the walls as the natural light fills the space. A mum pushes her pram through the exhibition, she stops to write a note in my comment book. I am so pleased to have this moment observing my work and the viewers interacting with it. I hope it brings her peace.



My exhibition was only meant to be on from 7-9pm on Friday as part of the Maggie's Culture Crawl, a fundraising event to support those affected by cancer. We had a wonderful crush of people, the crowd was estimated to be between 300-400 visitors. A choir sang for us all and spirits were high. Some lovely conversations were had, a selfie was taken with a group of participants in front of my favourite painting. It was a lovely event.

I am delighted to report that thanks to the support of management, my exhibition was held over! So here it is up again today, Saturday the 22nd from 10-5 and again on Monday and Tuesday from 10-5 and Wednesday from 10-4pm. I am of course thrilled with this development. It is so wonderful to see this body of work hanging together as intended and in what seems to be the perfect environment. It always feels like magic when the art fills the space in the perfect way.

This is my second solo exhibition since moving to Edinburgh 4 years ago this week. I get the same thrill whether I am showing my work in a coffee shop, community art centre, or high-end gallery. The work just wants to be seen and experienced. I need the work to be seen and experienced. I am always grateful for the opportunity.

Here is a video I made before the exhibition opened, to give you a better idea of the setup. Push play to open my eyes.


If you are local to Edinburgh or will be passing through on Saturday or Monday-Wednesday please pop by my exhibition at The Out of the Blue located at 36 Dalmeny Street in Leith, Edinburgh. I would be happy to make arrangements to meet you there as well. This is one of the best opportunities to see my work as it is truly intended to be seen.

Thank you to everyone who supports my work either by being a patron in the past, present or future. Thanks to all that continue to believe in me and have helped and supported me over the years in one way or the other. These victorious moments belong to us all.

Until next week, be ready for opportunities that may come your way and keep fighting!

*************
Do you enjoy my blog, my video visits, the paintings I share, or the other content that I provide for free across social media? Consider buying me a cup of coffee in support of my work. I am a member of Ko-fi.com, A friendly way for creators to get paid! Thank you!

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

2 comments:

  1. This looks AMAZING Megan - well done - you must be over the moon!!

    Elaine xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Elaine, I am over the moon! Truly! Thanks for your support and for your continued comments on my blog. I appreciate you! x

      Delete