Friday, March 17, 2023

Rest in Power

At a march and rally for Scottish independence in 2019

I was lucky to have Pat Bremner in my corner and in my life. Pat was a dedicated arts and culture lover and an engaged independence supporter. Perhaps more importantly to me personally, Pat was beyond loving and thoughtful when she welcomed me into her family with openness and care. I will always be grateful for the inclusion I felt in her company. 

We enjoyed films and lunch dates in the city, political marches and rallies, a bit of "Call the Midwife" back in the day and of course genealogy and "Who do you think you are." She took me to Women for Independence meetings. We visited the House of Records, the National Library and genealogy societies always looking for information on my "brick wall" which Pat invested an incredible amount of time in helping me try to tear down. I could tell her with excitement about new genealogy discoveries and knew she would be excited too. She took me to Holyrood Palace and hosted a Scottish Night at her house to immerse me in the culture. Quiz games were hosted over delivered Chinese food and laughs and chats about anything and everything were commonplace pre-pandemic. Flowers, plants, cards, and thoughtful gifts for special occasions and just because pepper my memories.

She was a champion of my work attending most exhibitions and open studios if they were accessible. She was an avid collector and patron. She was invested in me as an artist but also as a person unconditionally and her love and compassion meant the world.

Her last present to me was a big teacup with a painting of the poet Maya Angelou on it and a quote by her that reads, "If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be."

Thank you Pat for loving and seeing me, and for all you gave to the world with your bright heart and compassionate spirit. You are deeply missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment