Friday, March 10, 2023

See you later...

The Crossing
mixed media on canvas 20x20"
Megan Chapman 2004
private collection

My birthday was on Monday, March 6th. I turned 51. I am writing this post well after the fact. I remember it was a bright sunny day - one of the first days that it felt like spring was actually going to come at last. I wore a bright daffodil yellow coloured cardigan. 

I started the day by knowingly visiting someone very special to me for the last time. It was a beautiful and easy conversation and everything was said that needed to be. I marvelled at their strength, boldness, unwavering kindness, and the comforting nature that they put out into the world on that day and all days, even though they hadn't been dealt the best of hands. 

I said "I love you, see you later..." as I walked out the door. We both knew I would not. 

In a seemingly split reality, across town, a couple of dear friends were waiting for me for a birthday lunch. I cried at the dining room table when I arrived and shared the power and wonder I had just witnessed. We then enjoyed our bowls of homemade chilli around the table. I was grateful for the kindness and a place to land. 

Theo took a turn and the rest of the week was a blur.

No comments:

Post a Comment