Friday, June 30, 2023

It's loud and it's tasteless

New this week - studio snap

New this week - studio snap

Hello Dear Readers, 

I hope you are well. Let's see... above, you will see two new works that showed themselves this week. There is another one in progress but not quite formed yet. These may be subject to change but I like them right now so I thought they warranted an appearance on the studio blog. 

My week was full. My lovely niece showed up late last Saturday night and stayed until Wednesday morning - so that was a wonderful surprise delight. We went to two art events on Sunday. We enjoyed the first "Birds of a Feather" market at Sketchy Beats in Leith. We went to cheer on my studio mate Aoife and also got to discover many more artists, second-hand clothes, and bakery goods as the music flowed through the air in the sweet and funky wee space. Sketchy Beats has a nice community feel. Keep your eyes peeled for future events. 

Later that afternoon we checked out the Queer Summer Market at the Leith Arches presented by Sett Studios in Leith. Lots of artists and makers there to check and explore - if you go have a rummage through the Sett Studios Instagram feed you will discover them too. After all that art and the good tunes spinning at the market, we were hungry and had a bit of late lunch at The Bullfinch. I had a look at their chalkboard events scheduled on the wall and it seems like a lot of creative things are happening there too. 

I maintained my schedule this week and worked in my studio as usual. Monday, Tuesday, and Friday - and managed to work on three pieces and recorded the Tuesday Studio Video Visit. I can't tell you how good returning to my studio practice and art routine feels. There is ground under my feet again. 

Here's the video visit if you missed it. 


I did more work with the Scottish Artists Union this week as well. Have you joined your union? Check if you are eligible and consider joining. We are stronger together. I am really excited about this important and meaningful work.

On Thursday, I was honoured to be the guest of Edinburgh City Councillor and my friend, Susan Rae, to the private view of Beyond the Little Black Dress at the National Museum of Scotland. It was fun to get dressed up and go see some gorgeous and famous designs and chat with beautiful and fascinating people. It was loads of fun to do something a bit out of the ordinary and outside my usual comfort zone. Thanks, Susan! 

And here we are, I went to the studio, worked, and went to a meeting of a few of my peers at the Drill Hall as we try to build community within the building. On my way home, my friend Eleanor Buffam, an artist, wrote to ask me where to get some red embroidery thread. I offered a few futile suggestions and then as I was walking realised that I was about to walk by my friend and textile artist, Mairi Brown's studio. I sent a quick note and was met at the studio door by Mairi and got the thread Eleanor needed and had a quick chat with Mairi in the process! It felt like magic at work - community, creativity, serendipity, and spontaneity were all at play! 

Later in the day, I had a wonderful video call with my friend and fellow artist, Adelaide Shalhope and we talked about all things art and life using our shorthand painting language - such a joy! 

It truly was a full and artful week of connection, solidarity, support, and a bit of fun. This weekend is Leith Late - so if you have the energy - get out there. I might catch a bit of it and also just enjoy some quiet time. 

Thanks so much for joining me here, I hope you are well, happy, and inspired. The world and your wee community need you and the gifts you bring. Keep fighting. 

Like what I share? 

No comments:

Post a Comment