Friday, June 23, 2023

Lust for life

I am writing this blog from my studio. I have my big headphones on and I am still listening to this song on repeat after finally seeing Trainspotting 2 (T2) last Saturday night. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet - and go ahead and make it a double feature if it's been a while since you saw the first one. 

I am having a Cherry Coke and I have already painted today. I worked back into two canvases I had started a while back (in the same colour palette) so that was a no-brainer - working back in is always easier than starting anew. 

This week flew by! I put my niece back on the airport bus at 3am last Saturday morning. We had a great time, I think especially last Friday when I met her after writing my blog - we went charity shopping, ate some amazing pizza, followed that with gelato and had a gorgeous wee walk. Sounds like a perfect day. 

This week I worked as usual and I think the series is really coming together. I am building two series at once with a bridge, light and dark - just like life. Right now the darker side is stronger and I am enjoying working with its palette of black, red, and ochre - also a bit of shocking yellow chalk pastel. As I have mentioned before I am trying to use what I have on hand in the studio and not buy more materials to create this body of work. I really love this palette. I have always loved red and have painted my fair share of paintings with it. When I was a little girl, I would say my favourite colour was rosy red. I see you little girl - we know our way around this colour.

Okay so about the art. Let me start with the latest pieces in the dark series. (there are 4 pieces in the light series too - but this week I just want to see the dark together. Here they all are, beginning with the most recent ones.






this one might get worked back into... 



I just want to eat the black with a spoon, perhaps served with a sweet rosy red sauce. 

It feels good to be working again - reclaiming this sacred space, alongside my studio mate and dear friend Aoife. We both dive into our respective worlds and then come up for air and a wee chat. I am so glad this works for us. I'm very protective of my practice and the energies around it. 

Currently painting feels like returning home after getting lost in some really dark woods. 

If you missed the Studio Video Visit you can see it again here: 


That's all I have for you this week. I hope you have a beautiful weekend - thanks for joining me for the Friday Studio Blog. 

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment