Friday, October 1, 2010

Putting out fires...

detail: work in progress
(subject to major changes)


And again my work suffers. It's been a while hasn't it? Not having anything new to show is making writing this blog uncomfortable, but this is how it rolls sometimes. I produce a lot of work in a years time, and sometimes there are lulls. Here we have a nicely documented lull. But, I am doing other things that are important for my art career in the meantime.

I am very excited to report I just sold 5 paintings to a new corporate client, a bank. So, this week I had to deliver the works to the interior designer who chose my work for her project. This is very exciting, and I am thrilled to be remembered when it comes to using my work. This interior designer had used my work in another bank several years ago. I did other odds and ends, not only for myself but for my fellow studio mates, and for the studios where I work. It was a lively week, and I did manage to paint, just not to a point where it is done. Today, may be the day. If I can really focus on the painting I might be able to make it come together, if not I may have to start a smaller painting, just so I can feel the satisfaction of something clicking and of completion. I also really need to restock my Etsy shop- perhaps I should move on to some small paper works. (I forgot about this trick to help me get past lulls, glad I just remembered!)

I can't believe it is already October! Sorry I just had to put that out there. In other news, I am of course enjoying the fall, the light, the cooler temperature, the strange nostalgic hope that it brings to me. I am enjoying my house more than I have in a while and re-grounding to my life. That sounds fluffy and strange, but I lost myself for a while in my art and escaping, and while my art might be taking a back seat in this moment, my mind and body are grateful to touch the earth. I am a bit of a workaholic, people pleaser, and (something else I can't remember) and I can be all these things to the detriment of my health and well being. So I am trying to back off a little bit or at least be more mindful.

Anyway, this post seems rather disjointed and probably too honest. I remember when this blog was all "rah rah rah you can do this and here's how," and now it has turned more inward to me and what I am doing, this may be why I have lost readers. I think we are all looking for someone to tell us what to do, how to do it, and also to give us praise for what we are doing. But, I've already done that here.

All I know is that making art is central to who I am, and I will continue to walk this path and I am grateful to all my patrons, teachers, mentors, muses, friends, and family who have supported me on this journey.

I predict a renaissance this Fall. I just have to be patient.

Note to self: Four weeks until my exhibition Falling into Sound to be held in the Hive Gallery, Fayetteville Underground.

3 comments:

  1. Your blogs are never disappointing. I appreciate the honesty and the sharing of your journey. Your blog reflects who you are as the artist, and that is very valuable to me as a reader. I hope other readers find this so. You talk of reality. That I can trust.
    Thank you for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still reading.
    You are so much more than an instruction manual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To ruin a lyric 'art is my life, it is not my livelyhood'

    Looking forward to seeing your work for real one day, ...

    ReplyDelete