Friday, March 27, 2020

We create our own systems



It's Friday and I am here. I am listening to Santigold's first album on the big headphones. I did order two lots of art supplies earlier in the week, as I said I would in my last post. I have not yet received them, so I looked around the house to see what types of supplies I could piece together in the interim. I mentioned to Edinburgh based painter and illustrator, David Schofield on Twitter that I might end up finger painting on cardboard with coffee. I am still not too inspired to paint right now, but I am following through and setting up some space and I might even work on something later today. I just need to start. Again, I don't exactly think this is the time to keep performing as if this is a normal time or just another work week in the studio. Remember, how you choose to cope or process what is happening around the world is up to you. 

I just woke up from a long nap on the sofa. The sky is flat grey, the pavements are wet, and the shower is broken. The Prime Minister and the UK's Health secretary have both tested positive for the virus. 

Thank goodness for friends, music, and art. We keep showing up for each other. My dear friend artist and musician, John Kay (I will link to his Bandcamp page once he has it set up) sent me money for supplies earlier in the week. Artist, musician, and friend, Karl Macrae made his last payments this week on one of my paintings. Another artist and dear friend, Maggie Ivy bought me a cup of coffee and then I bought a cup of coffee for textile artist, Mairi Brown. And this is how we do it. 

As artists, many of us keep passing the same money (when we have it) around to keep each other afloat and we have been doing this for years. We keep lifting each other up. We are legion and we must not forget this and somehow we must create our own systems that actually work for us. The old systems sure as hell aren't working. Let's all think about this.

In other news, I put some of my "art" photos on my ko-fi page. I also shared some of my accidental portraits over there and linked to a podcast I used to do as well. Trying to flesh out the page in thanks to those who have already supported me over there and to those that hopefully will in the future. Ko-Fi is a friendly platform to support artists. https://ko-fi.com/meganchapman If you are an artist yourself, consider setting up a page. 

I recorded my Tuesday Studio Video Visit from home and put it on my YouTube page (still very much under construction over there) but here it is again if you missed it. 



I think that is all I have for you this week. Be well, stay safe, distance, and isolate. Wash your hands. We need you and the gifts you bring. Patrons we need you more than ever. 

With love, gratitude, and hope for the world, 
Megan 

Enjoy my blog and my work? Consider becoming a one-off or monthly supporter. Thanks! Support Me on Ko-fi

No comments:

Post a Comment