Friday, September 16, 2022

Washing brushes, talking about paintings


Time has been a little strange this past week, to say the least.

I made it to the studio on Tuesday as planned and took a quick look at the large canvas I worked on the previous Thursday. I put it aside for now and decided to go through my paints (I had 10 tubes of the same colour on the go many times over and cluttering up my palette table). I also went through all my brushes and found a selection of them that needed some tender loving care after some neglect. 

I sort of hit the ground running when I returned to the studio and just threw myself into using the space and creating new pieces. A forceful re-entry but probably not a sustainable one. Besides dealing with the paints and brushes, I did start another small square canvas just laying in some washes. Nothing serious. I skipped the studio on Thursday due to some other things I needed to attend to more. This is the 4th consecutive week of working in my studio space since before the pandemic. While I am creating new patterns and schedules I want to be careful to not return to being the taskmaster I once was in creating work to prove to you that I do indeed "work." This is leftover programming that no longer serves me but is deeply worn into my brain. I have done a bit more walking in the past week as well - Autumn always seems to be the walking season as I prepare myself for the darker and shorter days. 

For my Tuesday Studio Video Visit this week, I decided I wanted to try something a bit different and talk to you about one of my favourite paintings from childhood. Paolo Uccello's "St. George and the dragon."  Of course, I only meant to talk for 5 minutes but it ended up being 15 as I couldn't contain my excitement. If I record more of these videos I will keep them shorter. If you missed it, here it is again. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you haven't already. Thanks! 


This week I also sent out an email to my subscriber's list as sometimes social media isn't the best way to get ahold of everyone as it becomes more of a pay-to-play scenario. If you are not on my mailing list please sign up. I never spam and usually only send out newsletters quarterly or when a special event is happening that you might want to know about. As always you are in control and can unsubscribe at any time. Click HERE to sign up if you haven't already. Thank you. 

There are several ways you can support my work: 
Buy my art online or through my studio - Message me about pieces on my website and across social media - I am working to find the best point of sale platform online just now.

And of course, please share my blogs, videos, paintings and social media posts. Leave a comment - it all helps and I appreciate you for putting in a good word for me and my work. 

Thanks to everyone who remains on this path with me, I couldn't do it without you and I wouldn't want to. I hope you are well, happy, and inspired. Until next week, keep fighting! 

A big thank you to my regular monthly Ko-fi Supporters! 
Jennifer, Tamsin, Jennifer, and Pat - you really make a difference!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment