Saturday, February 15, 2014

On the walls for all to see...

Poster for the exhibition at Anne Kittrell Gallery, University of Arkansas

Hello! I've been busy being an artist this past week and I have a lot of exciting events coming up near and far. I like to keep you in the know, so here we go (pardon the third person).

Join artist Megan Chapman for the opening reception and American debut of her latest series, The Ghosts of the Past Exposed this Wednesday, February, 19th from 6-7:30pm at the Anne Kittrell Gallery on the fourth floor of the University of Arkansas Student Union. The exhibition will be on display from February 17th - March 7th. Regular gallery hours are Monday-Friday 10am-6pm.

Megan Chapman received crowdsourced funding in 2013 to visit Edinburgh, Scotland for six months. During this time she created a series of twenty new works that combine genealogy, poetry and painting, exploring many aspects of the Scottish diaspora in the United States. The first ten paintings of the series were on exhibition at Cross Street Arts in Greater Manchester, England in May and June. Two of those pieces were later featured in an exhibition at The Arts Complex, where Chapman kept a studio for four months in Edinburgh, Scotland. Once completed, the whole series was then shown at the Abbey Mount Centre in Edinburgh during the month of August and signaled the Scottish culmination of her project. The paintings have now returned to the United States with Megan, making a similar journey as her ancestors. This exhibition at the Anne Kittrell Gallery marks the series American debut.

If you are local to Northwest Arkansas I hope you will come out and say hello on Wednesday night and view these works. So many local people generously supported my project and I am looking forward to showing the work and saying thank you in person.

In overseas news, I have two pieces currently in Edinburgh that will be part of two separate exhibitions.

I am very pleased to have been asked to participate in the exhibition and sale during the first ever Royal Blind Week to benefit the brilliant work of Royal Blind. The exhibition will be held at Gallery Seventeen on Dundas street in Edinburgh with a special viewing on Thursday evening February 20th.

Regular gallery hours and viewing times are:

Friday 21 February: 10am - 6pm
Saturday 22 February: 10am - 6pm
Monday 24 February - Friday 28 February: 10am - 6pm
Saturday 1 March: 10am - 6pm

For those that can not attend in person you can visit the online auction here

Here is a short blurb about my involvement and thoughts from Royal Blind's website.

American artist, Megan Chapman, has created a special commissioned work for the exhibition which presents an abstract interpretation of the iconic Craigmillar campus of the Royal Blind School.

"I was thrilled to be asked to support Royal Blind as working with blind people has been important to me for a long while. Any time an organization can empower people to live full lives, be treated as equals and live beyond their perceived disability, is the highest achievement and is something I want to support and be part of."

At once we could see
My painting framed and ready for the Royal Blind exhibition

In other Edinburgh art news, I will have a small work on show at the Little Ox gallery on Candlemaker Row as part of the exhibition, Here We Are, putting the art in cartography, which opens February 28th at 7pm. It should be a great show!

Poster for "here we are" at Little Ox Gallery

So as you can see 2014 is off to a great and busy start! If you are an NWA local I do hope to see you Wednesday night and if you are a Edinburgh local I hope to see some photographs of my work alongside your smiling faces, while you enjoy a night out. I wish I could teleport and be both places.

Thanks for everyone who drops by this blog and to everyone that has supported me over the years. I can't do this without you and I am grateful to have you on my team.

Love,
Megan

PS. Until next week...PAINT, WRITE, DANCE, SING, PLAY MUSIC, DESIGN, ACT, whatever it is- do that art that makes your heart sing whether it is writing a perfect letter, making a pot of soup or making the perfect cup of tea. Please keep giving your passion to the world, it's the only way we are going to make it. x

2 comments:

  1. I hope you keep doing whatever it is that makes your heart sing too! (And I wish I could also teleport.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Stewart...he's a keeper.

    Can't wait to see you Wednesday. I need to show you my framed small piece of yours - it looks so beautiful on top of my bookshelf. You create as you breathe; a necessary process. How lucky we are to witness it.

    ReplyDelete