Friday, June 2, 2017

A place to belong

Accidental Portrait #6
This week I painted another accidental portrait and completed an abstract diptych that I am quite pleased with.

Diptych in the studio courtyard


I started week two of the MOMA course, with the focus being on the work of Barnett Newman. I thoroughly enjoyed being reminded of his work and his methodology. The course, in general, has reminded me how much I love learning about art and artists and how much more there is to learn and explore. It does take me back to my time at the University of Oregon and how the individual professor's interests and passions influenced what we were taught and who we studied. I still feel incredibly fortunate to have had that opportunity and to have studied with the particular professors that I did. For a split second today I even thought about pursuing a Masters but then I thought better of it.

Truthfully, I haven't been spending enough time in the studio, my energies have been a bit scattered but I plan to rectify that this month. I am grateful for having art in my life and having a place among all the painters before and after me. For me, art is a calling, an identity and a place to belong. I hope you have something like that in your life.

Until next week, you know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment