Friday, May 3, 2019

Spring inspiration: A Deep Dive






Spring in the studio.

Shake off winter, shake it all off!

Make whatever you want, make whatever you can, use whatever you need.

Cardboard, old books, broken oil pastels, pencils.

Feels good, doesn't it? Making yourself laugh, having a bit of fun. Dancing around the studio and scribbling all over the things like a child in your older brothers' room, but these aren't the scribbles of a child.

You are a 47-year-old woman with a wealth of experience and reasons.

+++++++++++++

Sometimes I paint and draw in the pages of old hardback books to tell the stories collected on the wind and sea. These books are made to be handled and touched, read and collected, like any other.

Next month, it will be twenty years since my BFA terminal exhibition, "BOOKS." I am hoping to show my new books, the 20th-anniversary editions one day soon but until then, here are the latest books, some are brand new and some were made last summer.















Besides these books, I have been enjoying painting on cardboard from the Drill Hall recycling bin. 

Vanity/Mirror

Colours, textures, lines, cardboard love!



































So as you see things are humming along in the studio. If you missed it on Facebook, you can see my Tuesday Studio Video Visit again here.




Besides making art, I have been immersing myself in the words and ideas of many powerful women.  I read Viv Albertine's wonderful book, "Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys" and now I am reading her follow up, "To throw away unopened." I am getting so much from her writing, her history, her candor, and her feminist perspective. I highly recommend both her books, if you haven't read them already.

Last Friday night I took myself out to the Doc N Roll festival screening of Stories from the She Punks, a documentary featuring the stories of women musicians from the punk-inspired bands of the 70s. Afterwards, there was a Q&A with the filmmakers Gina Birch (the Raincoats) and Helen Reddington (Helen McCookerybook of the Chefs). There were two short films as well by Gina Birch. The whole event was fabulous, funny, and fierce. I was so glad I was there. That sent me down a wormhole of new (to me) music. I also ordered Helen Reddington's book, "The Lost Women of Rock Music: Female Musicians of the Punk Era." I am looking forward to digging in and learning more.

As the theme continued throughout the week, I also watched, The Culture Show "Girls Will Be Girls" BBC 2 Women in Punk on YouTube and last night I watched The Slits documentary, "Here to be Heard." I highly recommend both. I also watched a more broad spectrum punk documentary by Don Letts, "Punk: Attitude."

I remember the first time I heard punk rock when I was a kid, I was amazed at how it seemed to plug right into my brain. I liked everything about it, the sound quality, the energy, the rawness, and that DIY attitude. They were people not pop stars, they were real and flawed, and singing about stuff that mattered. It gave me power and hope and it still does today. I am grateful to be able to continue learning about the women who were integral to the scene and to get inspiration from them. I am enjoying this deep dive.

What is inspiring you right now? What gives you personal power and strength? How does it influence your art?

Until next week, keeping fighting. The world needs you and your art, now more than ever!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. Have a lovely day!

      Delete