Friday, March 16, 2018

I want to paint and I want to help

This week saw more painterly progress in the studio. I completed two more new pieces in the series.


Again I am flirting with harder shapes and angles combined with an ethereal atmosphere with an icy yet earthy palette. In these pieces, I enjoy playing with the consistency of the paint as well. As the series progresses, I continue to expand on the concept of "what is enough" to tell and teach me when to stop with these works. Less is more.

I feel good about my painting progress this week while also taking time away from the studio for some necessary art administrative work. I also managed my Tuesday Studio Video Visit. You can see it here if you missed it. I can't believe that my weekly studio video visit series will be a year old next month!



Here are the latest four painting in the series. Soon the work will be properly documented and titled.




In other exciting art news, I have decided that I want to return to mentoring artists who could benefit from an understanding ally in their creative practice.

I have worked in this capacity formally and informally with various artists over the years and have always enjoyed it. I recently mentored a fellow artist for several hours at the start of the year and realised once again how much I not only enjoy this work but how much I have missed it. I am an enthusiastic believer in art and artists and I want to help more artists feel supported and encouraged.

I now offer one to one mentoring/coaching services for artists who are at a crossroads with their work or for those who have been away from their art for a while and want to return to it. I want to gently mentor artists by working with them to examine their past work, creative habits, and blocks - working together to push through obstacles in a supportive, encouraging and yet challenging way.

I will work closely with the artist to create a customised plan to jump-start their art making through the use of various process exercises, guidance, and accountability. This can be done in person at my studio at the Out of the Blue Drill Hall in Leith, Edinburgh as well as online via Skype and through email. In accordance with the Scottish Artists Union 2018 rates of pay, my fee for this service is £30-35/hour (depending on if we work together in person or online only) payable through PayPal or bank transfer.

If you think this is something you might be interested in or have additional questions, please email meganchapmanart@gmail.com

*I will have a few reduced fee scholarship spots available to those artists in need (especially to those who identify as women, people of colour, single mothers, differently abled and LBGTQIA+ each quarter - you do not have to identify to me, just mention "underrepresented" in your email and I will see what I can do). Please don't hesitate to inquire about these slots.

Here are a few things that folks have said about working with me over the years.

"Megan Chapman is an inspiration with her passion and commitment to art in the community and this spreads worldwide through the power of the Internet. Early on in my career, I commissioned Megan to do a portfolio review which was absolutely brilliant and helped me a lot with my path forward."
Deborah E Burrow

"Ms. Chapman has reviewed some of my paintings and helped me fine tune my process, allowing me to take my work to the next level. In addition, she has offered a constant stream of encouragement for my installations. I will be forever grateful."
Craig Colorusso

"Megan Chapman exudes kindness, enthusiasm, and passion so that art can live, projects can exist and for all of this to be shared."
– Christian Demare

"Megan Chapman helped me progress experiments, to an international standard. When we first communicated, I painted in a dusty cold garage, yet through her guidance, I have progressed to a studio, and then to director of studios, and my work evolved with her input at every stage. I'm grateful for her experience, talent and willingness to share technique, style, and presentation."
– Steven Heaton

"Megan is the person you want in your corner when it comes to promoting your art. As a novice artist, her encouragement and belief in my work was the primary motivation for getting my art exhibited. No one works harder on your behalf."
– John Spurgeon

Well, that's all I have for you this week. Thanks for reading my blog. Until next week, keep making, doing, and seeing. The world needs you and your art.

No comments:

Post a Comment