Friday, June 5, 2020

Action and Art

I am posting this two weeks later than the actual date, filling in gaps where I have been silent. I am doing this mostly so I can remember what was being created at this time. This blog often serves as a record for me in the future.

For the past two weeks, I have been quiet and listening, outraged and sad, and holding space in solidarity with black people around the world. It didn't feel like the right time to record a chirpy Tuesday Studio Video Visit, nor did it feel right to write another blog on Friday as if it was business as usual in the world. I haven't painted much since the last portrait (FUCK - that I shared on this blog last week and below) but I have been looking at a lot of art, reading, researching, donating, and being as politically active as possible and protesting from a safe distance and attending online rallies and discussions on racism offered through a black-led organisations.


Here are the organisations I have been able to aid in some small way so far thanks to my art patrons.
Showing up for Racial Justice
https://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/
Organization for Black Struggle
https://www.obs-stl.org/
Family of George Floyd
https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd
National Lawyers Guild Mass Defense Fund
https://www.nlg.org/massdefenseprogram/
The Bail Project
https://bailproject.org/
Stand up to Racism UK
http://www.standuptoracism.org.uk/

Action for Breonna Taylor:
1) Email Mayor Greg Fischer to demand that the LMPD fire and revoke pensions of the officers who murdered Breonna; and arrest, charge, and convict them for this crime. Email: Greg.Fischer@louisvilleky.gov
2) Demand that special prosecutor Daniel Cameron comport with full transparency and accountability. Email: attorney.general@ag.ky.gov
Please join us in this fight by making your voice heard now. Further information is at FightforBreonna.org

Defund the Police: 

UK Actions:
Action for UK Government Stop Arming US State Violence with Exports:
Justice for Sheku Bayoh:
10 petitions to sign today that support Black Lives Matter in the UK:
On Wednesday, June, 3rd at 6pm there was a UK wide call to action to protest wherever you were, doorstep, street, garden, or a socially distanced group protest to take the knee and or stand in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. I took the knee and stood outside on the road with my hand-painted sign. 

We must show up where we are, it might feel performative at first, scary, or odd. I had to examine that within myself. I had to look back at my white life and privilege, acknowledge my mistakes and missteps, talk about racism and bias, and ask questions of my friends and family. Why is my Instagram feed so white, why are the cities I live in so white? Why is the art I see so white? What can I do about it? What do I need to learn? What do I need to change? This is on us as white people. I might get it wrong and when I do (not if) I will take responsibility and listen. I'd rather get it wrong and be corrected and learn than stand back in silence. We have to keep talking and taking action not just this week or the next, but for the rest of our lives.


Now to the art, I made around this time and the last studio video visit I recorded. 

Accidental portrait #15, mixed media
20x16" on heavyweight 250gsm paper.
It has a fine-grain linen-textured surface that has been double-primed and is acid-free.
£270

Accidental portrait #16
mixed media 20x16" on heavyweight 250gsm paper.
It has a fine-grain linen-textured surface that has been double-primed and is acid-free.
Sold

Accidental portrait #17
mixed media 20x16" on heavyweight 250gsm paper.
It has a fine-grain linen-textured surface that has been double-primed and is acid-free.
Sold


Until next week, I hope you are staying safe and well. Thank you. Keep fighting!

No comments:

Post a Comment