Friday, June 17, 2022

After the way

On an 8-mile local walk this week

There was the blog that I wanted to post today and the blog you are getting. 

I started the first option yesterday, writing about the 10 days on the John Muir Way with my niece Elena, but found it quite overwhelming as I just couldn't focus in the way I wanted. But I have started and will finish it eventually. I decided to just post something for this week and take some of the self-imposed pressure off. I can't believe it has already been a whole week since we got off The Way and took a train back to Edinburgh from Dunbar. 

This week was a return to some sort of normalcy. I hadn't been on a holiday in so long that I forgot about the odd phase right after. So, I tidied up the house, unpacked, did laundry, and watered the plants. I checked in with friends and some family. I caught up on some sleep (I didn't sleep that great while on The Way) and took a few naps. I returned to some work and mentored an artist and took care of business emails, I recorded my Tuesday Studio Video Visit and attended scheduled appointments. I applied for and received my Scot Rail "Club 50" Smart Rail Card (for reduced-priced train travel). I visited a few friends, took myself out for a chai latte, and I made sure to walk daily, anywhere from 2 to 10 miles. I threw in a couple of sessions of aerobics and some yoga for good measure. I realised that it is these more or less daily exercise habits that enabled me to "just go" on the 135-mile (official) John Muir Way (it was 170 miles in total with extraneous walking) over 10 days, spontaneously without too much issue or injury. 

I must admit that right now everything seems a bit dull. I miss my effervescent niece and I miss the task of simply putting one foot in front of the other with a pack on your back and winding up in a farmer's field, a scenic glen, or in a grove of trees by the sea and sleeping somewhere new as you go. The nomadic life (of sorts) appeals to me. Constantly moving forward, exploring, with only a few responsibilities, and all under your own steam seems like a good way to spend time on the planet at least periodically. There are so many lessons and learnings on the way.

Getting out on a few longer walks this week (I even stepped out on a bit of the local John Muir Way again) seemed like a good way to transition and to remember how much local beauty there is that I get to explore each day. I feel very fortunate.

I know this is an art blog - but I also know that walking factors into my art. It certainly factors into my enjoyment of life and allows me the space to listen to my head and heart and to get clear about things. 

I think that is all I have for you this week, a return to normalcy - a simple post about a simple joy. 

Until next week, take good care.

No comments:

Post a Comment