Friday, March 5, 2010

And the birds sing sweetly

This is what I wanted to show you last week:

Sometimes © 2010 Megan Chapman

This painting was finished all along. I looked at it in the natural light, I thought about it and studied it for days and whatever I thought I needed to do to it faded away. I am glad I left well enough alone.

While I was waiting for the above piece, I started a new one.

Where Stranger's Dreams Cling © 2010 Megan Chapman

There are currently seven paintings in the new white series. Last night was First Thursday art night at the Fayetteville Underground; the crowds were huge, it was wonderful. My studio was open, and I received great feedback on the new series- it was wonderful to give people a taste of what I have been so excited about. I had moved all my colored paintings out of the studio, so that patrons could only view the new white series and The Manual for Living (a ten page guide). Many people talked about the Manual. My newest work could not have been received much better. I am so pleased and I can not wait to get back into the heart of a painting.

the beginning pieces from the new white series in my studio

Also in my studio, I debuted Delay before Abandon: A Transatlantic Collaboration a new project between myself and English artist Steven Heaton. Click on the link above to learn more about the project. We are both very excited about being able to work together. This project seemed to catch patrons imaginations, all of them thought it was an interesting idea, they wondered how we met, how it felt to cover over each other's work, how thick the paper would become as it is encrusted with paint, would the project last 6 months, 6 years, or twenty? So my studio feels a buzz with new activity, inspiration, and some sort of renewed power.

And last but not least, my work debuted in the Vault Gallery at the Underground last night. I love showing my work in the old vault of the bank that the Underground is housed in. It just fits with the space and came alive under the gallery lights.

Selected works by Megan Chapman: Vault Gallery

So that has been my week! Tomorrow is my birthday, and I don't know what the next year holds for me, but if I can remember the power and passion I have felt in the last month even half the time, I think this year could be quite special. Thanks for sharing this journey with me.

5 comments:

  1. As your studio-mate at the Underground, it has been a privilege and an inspiration to watch you create these amazing works of art. I am thrilled to see the results and so happy you received well deserved appreciation. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, your Art feels good, it makes me happy.
    Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your White Series does look fantastic on the wall together!
    Congratulations.
    Also, Best Wishes for the next year - may you have inspiration and great executions of your ideas ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Megan--your new white series holds great promise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still trying to think of something useful to say about these but amn't really managing. I love the direction you're going in, the bold strokes and the colours.

    They also give a more positive, maybe even confident impression than the Book of Stills.

    ReplyDelete