Friday, August 3, 2018

The week that kicked my arse

distressed paper painting




Dear Readers,

Apologies for getting this blog to you a wee bit later than usual. It couldn't be avoided. This week kicked my arse.

So let's see, it all started off nicely, I worked in my studio and have been processing some ideas about my art and why I work and worry about my art the way I do. That discussion will be for another day.

Tuesday, I recorded my video visit as usual and worked on some handmade paper from India. It's a lovely cotton rag and is great fun to work on. Very meaty and also very good to distress, fold and paint on. Here's the video if you missed it over on my Facebook Art page.



After that video was filmed, the arse kicking started. I got a call at the studio from my husband, Stewart saying that we needed to move out of the flat he has rented since 2008 and that I have lived in since I moved here in 2014. So, that was a bit of a shock. We have until October 31st to leave but of course can leave sooner if we find something.

Suddenly all my time and energy turned to the cause of looking for a new place to live. Everything else seemed quite small in comparison. I happened to also be a bit unwell and not functioning at 100% this week which complicated things. So you'll forgive me if my content suffers a bit here and across my social media platforms until we get a bit more settled.

I have turned to the artist community and friends of friends on social media around Edinburgh and the surrounding areas for help in finding a new place to live that meets our needs and budget. If you are local and happen to know of any places in Edinburgh for rent, please send me an email or leave a comment. Thanks!

I am trying to think positive but also accept the situation for what it is, which is complicated and challenging. I look forward to writing this blog in the near future from a new flat with new insight, and clarity. New beginnings can be exciting and inspiring times and I am hoping for the best.

I even took to social media and asked for help in picking a topic for this week's blog as I was drawing a blank. A few questions came up and I was grateful for the help (thanks friends). Questions about materials, process, and even one on how to move studios (I am thankfully not moving my studio right now - let's just hope I can keep it!).

I don't talk too much about my brushes, paints, and the exact process of creating or even the mixing of colours. I am not sure why that is. I guess I don't think that stuff matters that much. Or perhaps I just like the magical/spiritual aspect of painting so much that I don't like getting bogged down in the material aspects. Whatever the reason, my helpers from the internet got me thinking and that's always a good thing! I can't wallow in house hunting all the time now, can I? I do answer some of those questions in the interview I did with Jackson's Art Supplies so if you missed it or haven't read it yet, you can find it here.

Here's a question to the artists out there. Why are you an artist? Did you choose it or did it choose you? How do reconcile being an artist in a culture that doesn't quite understand what you do, how you spend your time, or what your value is to society?

Until next week, keep fighting and I will promise to do the same.

***************************************
Do you enjoy my blog, my video visits, the paintings I share, or the other content that I provide for free across social media? Consider buying me a cup of coffee in support of my work. I am a member of Ko-fi.com, A friendly way for creators to get paid! Thank you!

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

3 comments:

  1. What a shock for you. I hope you transition to a new home quickly and smoothly. Why am I an artist? Because I don’t have a choice. For me it’s like asking why am I human? I just am. Being an artist in a culture that doesn’t understand or value it has been very difficult. I tried very hard to be something else for quite a while and the fallout on my health, both mental and physical was not good. So I am. I hope that leading by example might just help the world come along with me. But if it doesn’t, I won’t change that I am an artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I appreciate your hopes for our flat hunting and thank you for answering the questions too. I am very glad to read your answers, I feel very much the same way and you are leading by example and I am so glad you are! Congrats again on your recent sale too! That makes me happy! x

      Delete
  2. largest online letting agent uk
    The UK's most visited estate agents.Our Experts can help you buy, sell, rent and let property with branches across the UK.
    We will list your property on the main property portals such as Rightmove, Zoopla & PrimeLocations.
    let your property within the first 48 hours.largest online letting agent uk.

    ReplyDelete