Friday, April 3, 2009

A Promise...



Well, it is the first Friday of April, and I told you I would be back so here I am. It feels very much like the very first day I started my studio blog in April of 2007. It was sunny, I had my headphones on and I had no idea what I was going to write. I actually wrote it mid morning or mid day on Friday rather than Thursday night, and afterward I would feel such a sense of accomplishment I would reward myself by going out to celebrate.

So here we are. I had planned to do many things while I was "away" and I accomplished some of them, and it was surprising to me how little I thought about this blog or posting when it had become such a routine and ritual in my life. So, I think that means it was very important for me to take a break when I did.

I'll catch you up briefly...
My last show Selective Evidence at the ddp gallery in Fayetteville was a huge success. I sold 8 paintings in 2.5 weeks, and people seemed really interested in my process and work since my studio was set up in the gallery. I really enjoyed painting somewhere outside my home and getting instant feedback on my work. 2 pieces sold that were still wet! It was a thrill and encouraged and inspired me greatly. Thank you Fayetteville- you've been good to me.

In other news, I was just asked to come speak to a group of artists by a local art club this summer, so I will be giving a presentation on my work and process and will even get paid for my time! I am very excited about this upcoming opportunity.

I have also been enjoying exploring my hobby of photography on blipfoto.com on Blip foto the goal is to take and post a photo each day on the day. I really like the simplicity of the site and the feedback I receive as well. If you enjoy photography, and want a simple goal of taking a photo a day, you might enjoy the site- I know I have. It is a great relief to have some form of creative expression even when I can't get into the studio and paint.

I still have not updated my small works in my Etsy shop- and that is a high priority. I will let you all know when there are new things to look at there.

So that is what I have been doing the last month, painting, seeing art and music, making photographs, day dreaming, selling art, and planning my next move in the game.

See you next Friday with something new to discuss.
I hope you all have been well with dreams.

PS. If you enjoy my photograph "A Promise" posted above, click on it (for full resolution)and then right click to download it and print it up- It is my gift to you. Enjoy!


A promise © 2009 Megan Chapman

9 comments:

  1. Welcome back Megan..:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan!
    Congrats on the success of the show, and I think you'd do very, very well in a speaking situation; have you ever considered teaching a class or even doing online 'classes'? I think you'd be quite amazing at it.

    I have to say, Megan, I have the worst difficulty reading your blog...the faded font on black absolutely kills my eyes...am I alone? I feel I am going blind when I come here, and my eyes ache afterwards. I can barely read what you have in the sidebar, surely I am not alone...echo...hello... :D

    So sorry I haven't visited often enough! I do love 'hearing' what you have to say, it's just a little painful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Megan!
    Lovely photo, thank you :)
    Sounds like you had a pretty successful/productive time away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very large congrats to you on the success! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoyed your paintings.
    I did notice that you been doing more photography. Keep up the great work in your paintings.
    Photography is a great hobby.
    Have a great Friday.
    your friend
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for the welcome back.
    I hope you enjoy the color changes.
    There maybe other redesigns of the blog in the future as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you are back and sounds like you had a good break away... and thanks for the pic, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kia ora Megan,
    Great to hear you had a fantastic month. Thank you very much too for the wonderful painting - realised I hadn't thanked you. Been so busy and happy since I quit my job just over 3 weeks ago - haven't worked so hard in years! Good though doing stuff I love and because I want to rather than have to.
    Your new profile photo is awesome.
    Arohanui,
    Kev

    ReplyDelete