Friday, March 26, 2021

Broken computers and new small works

This week started off okay but then went to shite around midweek with a computer failure. It really made me realise how much I loathe computers and all the digital detritus we acquire and create. I take a hell of a lot of photos. Computers end up like journals for me. I often start just writing in the middle of a new notebook, random and cryptic words, notations, thoughts. I circle things, I write down dates and numbers and then I walk away, only to start again somewhere else in the notebook, probably writing the same thing again and again. I imagine my computer files stretched across so many dead or dying hard drives, perhaps across continents and seas.

I also realised I don't have to be an expert at all of this. I do pretty well with a few things and that's probably enough. Now, if I could just create a basic rudimentary system that works for me I'll be fine. 

Isn't that what we are all trying to do, just find our place within the frameworks of a basic system. I need wiggle room and a bit of space for wild abandon too. I know I need systems but I don't really like them too much. 

I am sitting in front of the window, the sun is warm on one of my arms, I watch my exhausted daffodils catch the wind, the grape hyacinths are coming up now in the window box. I am listening to concentration music on my computer - drones to keep the brain waves in check. 

I had an order for a print yesterday when I woke up from an old friend in Seattle. Always thankful for the support and delighted for the order. Check out my kofi shop if you haven't in a while. 

And in other news, I happened to paint five new small works this week. Can you imagine? I certainly didn't but somehow I have. These are on 5x7" mixed media on canvas boards. You can see the weave of the canvas in the photos, these wee beauties pack a punch. 


From there to here
mixed media on canvas board
5x7"/13x18cm
©2021 Megan Chapman
£55 with free shipping in the UK
Message me to claim (not in my shop yet)

Ties that bind
mixed media on canvas board
5x7"/13x18cm
©2021 Megan Chapman
£55 with free shipping in the UK
Message me to claim (not in my shop yet)


Your wild terrain
mixed media on canvas board
7x5"/18x13cm
©2021 Megan Chapman
£55 with free shipping in the UK
Message me to claim (not in my shop yet)


Lay it down
mixed media on canvas board
7x5"/18x13cm
©2021 Megan Chapman
£55 with free shipping in the UK
Message me to claim (not in my shop yet)


Thunder and the roar
mixed media on canvas board
5x7"/13x18cm
©2021 Megan Chapman
£55 with free shipping in the UK
Message me to claim (not in my shop yet)

And that's all I have for you this week. Thank you for stopping by and for supporting my work. Take good care of yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment