Friday, April 8, 2022

Permission to rest

A work in progress and my studio from back in the day. Look at all those canvases. 

This week got away from me or did it? 

I attended two union meetings, mentored a brilliant artist, had a doctor's appointment, went to my studio for a bit of a clear out, received some work back from a gallery, had a video chat with an artist pal about artists' working conditions, and recorded my Tuesday Video Visit. 

And then I took it easy - I have permission to rest. I finished watching Station 11 and tonight is the season finale of Severance - no spoilers! Severance is probably one of my favourite programmes since the first season of Twin Peaks. Highly recommend. 

I'm still not painting much this year - and it's already April. I am not sure I have ever gone this long without making new work. I think I am okay with it. I think much of my previous work was fueled by internalised capitalism and built upon a foundation of doubt and fear. That wee truth bomb is brought to you by the union and a lot of personal work. The good news is that I don't have to work like that anymore.

However, I will say, I have been seeing flashes of work in my mind's eye again lately and that's always exciting. There's a new plan for the studio at the drill hall afoot which could be beneficial, fun, and see me working there a bit more soon as well... I will keep you posted. 

Here's the Tuesday Studio Video Visit if you missed it. A very general demystification of art exhibitions and galleries - and just a few things to think about. 

I will leave you with a reminder of the Abstractionistas Exhibition News: 

Current:
Awakenings, Detour Espresso, 
39 Argyle Place, Marchmont, Edinburgh until April 17th.
M-F 9-4pm and Sat-Sun 10-4pm 

Future:
Inception, Dalkeith Palace, 
Dalkeith Country Park
May 6-8 

Enjoy my video visits, photos, writing, and art? Support my work on ko-fi. 

Thanks! And as always, keep fighting!

Are you a Scottish Artist? Consider joining your union.
Are you a UK Artist? Here's a report on the working conditions of artists that you might be interested in reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment