Friday, April 1, 2022

The old ways don't work


My head is spinning from everything I have learned in the past 3 weeks with the Scottish Artists Union. I took a 12-hour course called, "Let's get organised! A 101 for Organising the Arts" The title doesn't do the course justice - there was so much more to it than that. It was deep and personal, it gave me a new framework to see my past, present, and future - and I am grateful.

I am not sure if I can even begin to express how I feel about it yet. It solidified a lot of ideas that have been kicking around in my head for decades and gave me the words to understand many of my beliefs on a new level. The additional resources provided during the course excited and overwhelmed me. I am eager to learn more and it also seems like I could never learn enough! 

I had been thinking of how I would miss the course when it concluded on Thursday. However, I am delighted that I was asked if I would be interested in participating in a pilot scheme for a Fair Work Representative development training course starting next week. "The training will cover the role of reps; an overview of Fair Work; Advocacy and Organising; and Equalities." I am really looking forward to this further training and what the future may hold for me within the union. 

Since the pandemic, thanks to more of the learning programs being offered online, I have been able to access some brilliant content provided by the SAU. It's not just about paying your dues and getting your liability insurance, the union offers so much more! I am really thankful. 

So, that's where I am coming from just now and you can rest assured there will be more specific and deeper insights shared in future posts. 

In other news, I wasn't out and about quite as much as the week before, but I was invited to a lovely home-cooked dinner with two good friends. We sat around a big wooden table enjoying our steaming bowls of noodles as we shared information, worries, and laughs, and for a couple of hours, I forgot about the pandemic. Magic! 

This week I went on a field trip with the Abstractionistas (Judith Shaylor and Susan Wilson) to the fabulous Dalkeith Palace to see the room we will be showing our work in for the Inception exhibition coming up in May. Besides this, the aforementioned union meetings punctuated the week, as well as an hour of mentoring a very talented artist. I had a few health-related tasks and appointments to take care of this week as well - reminding me again of the preciousness and value of Scotland's National Health Service. I will never take it for granted. 

So while I am not creating art currently, I am participating in the art world within a social action context, along with working with the Abstractionistas on our future exhibition, and mentoring a fellow artist as she explores her process and personal goals.

I have also enjoyed some sunshine, nature, and a bit of culture this week - two television shows, Severance and Station 11 both seem to tie in perfectly to what I am thinking about in regards to workers, work, capitalism and our ever-evolving world. 

The old ways don't work. 
It's time to dream and organise.

No comments:

Post a Comment