Friday, April 16, 2010

The world opened up and said yes

As you said © Megan Chapman 2010

This week was interesting to say the least. April has never been a good month for me historically, but I decided that this April would be different and so far it has not disappointed. This April, I committed to taking better care of myself (again) and to work a little harder than usual. I guess in self help lingo, you could say I set an intention for the month, and by doing this, I seemed to have been rewarded almost immediately. The world opened up and said yes, or perhaps I went to the crossroads and made a deal with the devil. If you have been reading my blipfoto journal you know what happened to me this past Saturday afternoon, but if not I think it bears repeating and celebrating. I sold NINE of my paintings to a first time collector! This was the most wonderful thing not only for me, but I think, also for the collector. I could see how excited she was, and how her confidence built with each choice she made. I loved working with her closely while she amassed her collection. It was one of those days many artists dream of, just a magical experience all around. I just couldn't believe it. I am humbled, grateful, and thrilled to no end. It was also wonderful to share my happiness with my friends on blip, facebook, and my studio mates. Now I am sharing it with you. I am so lucky to have so many wonderful friends near and far who are genuinely happy for me. Thank you.

In other news, yesterday afternoon I happily received an email notification that three of my photographs had been accepted into a juried exhibition entitled Crafting Place: Interpretations of Natural and Constructed Environments from the Kitchen to the Forest. The Juror was Kenneth Trapp former curator-in charge of the Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian American Art Museum. The exhibition is to be held May 6th through June 5th in Bentonville, Arkansas at the Sugar gallery. I am excited to share three of my photographs from my Picher, Oklahoma series. I am also proud of myself for entering photographs in the exhibition, as I really consider myself a painter and not a photographer. I guess I am an artist after all.

As far as the studio goes, I popped in and out all week, and I looked at my paintings, but nothing really happened. Currently, I have one on the go on the easel that if I wasn't still so excited about my Saturday sales, I could probably focus on and wrap up fairly quickly. The piece posted above is the latest in the white series, it is quiet and serene, perhaps a space to breathe. At first I wasn't sure if it was done, but now I think it is.

If I had to sum up this week it was full of good fortune, healthy eating and drinking, walking, talking, napping and smiling, with a dash of music music music and as always art.

Until next week, keep fighting.

4 comments:

  1. That is fantastic news, Megan! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A week to remember, eh?!

    "As You Said" really resonates with me actually - I think its the landscape that I perceive/interpret. My eyes are always open for landscapes, as you know...

    Congratulations again, and keep up with the healthy lifestyle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A healthy lifestyle seems to be a good foundation to good fortune for you.
    You are not a painter
    you are not a photographer
    YOU ARE AN ARTIST.
    you use any means to translate your visions,
    your dreams and your ideas.
    Many of us like to play around, but you show us how it is really done... big time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. All wonderful! So pleased!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete